The efficiency of B-cell depletion therapy for severe ocular cicatricial pemphigoid (OCP) highlights the key role of B lymphocytes in the immunopathogenesis of OCP. B-cell activating factor (BAFF) is a potent B-cell growth factor and costimulator of immunoglobulin production. Elevated serum BAFF is associated with systemic autoimmune diseases, such as systemic lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis and bullous pemphigoid. We hypothesize that serum BAFF levels are also increased in patients with OCP.
Sera were collected from 30 patients with new-onset active OCP, 9 with disease in remission, 10 with OCP relapse, and 15 healthy control individuals. An enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay was performed to measure the concentration of serum BAFF.
BAFF was significantly higher in patients with new-onset active OCP (700.8 ± 181.8 pg/mL) than in healthy control individuals (564.1 ± 133.2 pg/mL; p = 0.014). No significant difference was found between patients with OCP in remission (585.4 ± 216.2 pg/mL) and healthy control individuals. Patients with disease relapse treated with rituximab had an extremely high concentration of BAFF (1721.9 ± 790.8 pg/mL). Longitudinal analysis of serum BAFF from 6 patients showed that BAFF decreased as the disease went from new onset (895.0 ± 240.8 pg/mL) to remission (625.4 ± 199.8 pg/mL; p = 0.003).
BAFF is involved in the active inflammation of OCP. Targeting BAFF with an antagonist may be therapeutically beneficial for patients with refractory OCP, especially those resistant to rituximab.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Canadian Journal of Ophthalmology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc. 1986; 84: 527-663
- Ocular cicatricial pemphigoid: pathogenesis, diagnosis and treatment.Prog Retin Eye Res. 2004; 23: 579-592
- Combination of rituximab and intravenous immunoglobulin for recalcitrant ocular cicatricial pemphigoid: a preliminary report.Ophthalmology. 2010; 117: 861-869
- Rituximab in the treatment of ocular cicatricial pemphigoid: a retrospective cohort study.Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2017; 255: 1221-1228
- BAFF: a fundamental survival factor for B cells.Nat Rev Immunol. 2002; 2: 465-475
- B cell activating factor (BAFF): structure, functions, autoimmunity and clinical implications in systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE).Autoimmun Rev. 2021; 20102736
- Exploring BAFF: its expression, receptors and contribution to the immunopathogenesis of Sjögren's syndrome.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2016; 55: 1548-1555
- Elevated serum B lymphocyte stimulator levels in patients with systemic immune-based rheumatic diseases.Arthritis Rheum. 2001; 44: 1313-1319
- Serum levels of BAFF are increased in bullous pemphigoid but not in pemphigus vulgaris.Br J Dermatol. 2006; 155: 330-336
- Reliability of conjunctival biopsy for diagnosis of ocular mucous membrane pemphigoid: redetermination of the standard for diagnosis and outcomes of previously biopsy-negative patients.Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2021; 29: 1106-1113
- Association of plasma B lymphocyte stimulator levels and disease activity in systemic lupus erythematosus.Arthritis Rheum. 2008; 58: 2453-2459
- B lymphocyte stimulator overexpression in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus: longitudinal observations.Arthritis Rheum. 2003; 48: 3475-3486
- Distinct effects of methotrexate and etanercept on the B cell compartment in patients with juvenile idiopathic arthritis.Arthritis Rheum. 2014; 66: 2590-2600
- Circulating levels of B lymphocyte stimulator in patients with rheumatoid arthritis following rituximab treatment: relationships with B cell depletion, circulating antibodies, and clinical relapse.Arthritis Rheum. 2006; 54: 723-732
- Tolerance and efficacy of rituximab and changes in serum B cell biomarkers in patients with systemic complications of primary Sjögren's syndrome.Ann Rheum Dis. 2007; 66: 351-357
- Differential effects on BAFF and APRIL levels in rituximab-treated patients with systemic lupus erythematosus and rheumatoid arthritis.Arthritis Res Ther. 2006; 8: R167
- Elevated serum BAFF levels are associated with rising anti-double-stranded DNA antibody levels and disease flare following B cell depletion therapy in systemic lupus erythematosus.Arthritis Rheum. 2013; 65: 2672-2679
- Double anti-B cell and anti-BAFF targeting for the treatment of primary Sjögren's syndrome.Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2019; 37: 199-208
- Phase III, multicentre, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, 104-week study of subcutaneous belimumab administered in combination with rituximab in adults with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE): BLISS-BELIEVE study protocol.BMJ Open. 2019; 9e025687
- The NET-effect of combining rituximab with belimumab in severe systemic lupus erythematosus.J Autoimmun. 2018; 91: 45-54
- The acute manifestations of ocular cicatricial pemphigoid: diagnosis and treatment.Ophthalmology. 1979; 86: 543-555
- Anti-epiligrin cicatricial pemphigoid and relative risk for cancer.Lancet. 2001; 357: 1850-1851
- Prevalence and clinical significance of anti-laminin 332 autoantibodies detected by a novel enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay in mucous membrane pemphigoid.JAMA Dermatol. 2013; 149: 533-540
- Mucous membrane pemphigoid-associated malignancies: case series and a brief overview of the literature.Dermatol Pract Concept. 2019; 9: 119-125
- Relative risk for cancer in mucous membrane pemphigoid associated with antibodies to the beta-4 integrin subunit.Clin Exp Dermatol. 2007; 32: 637-641
- Identification of ocular cicatricial pemphigoid antibody binding site(s) in human beta4 integrin.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2001; 42: 379-385
- Ocular cicatricial pemphigoid antigen: partial sequence and biochemical characterization.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996; 93: 14714-14719
- The diagnosis and blistering mechanisms of mucous membrane pemphigoid.Front Immunol. 2019; 10: 34
Published online: December 01, 2022
Accepted: November 13, 2022
Received in revised form: October 11, 2022
Received: June 19, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
© 2022 Canadian Ophthalmological Society. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.